Adoption in Child Time (ACT) is a non-profit organization that has been advocating on behalf of foster children and foster parent's rights for nearly 20 years in Indiana and throughout the United States.
A new guide for foster parents about how to journal in 2015
For the fifth edition of A Daily Journal for Foster Parents, we have renamed it What Foster Parents Need to Know. Previous editions contained empty space to write daily entries for an entire year. The new edition gives detailed instructions on HOW and WHAT to journal about but omits the space for writing entries, instead encouraging foster parents to write online or in a personal notebook. The other valuable information, most importantly the five different subsidies available to adoptive parents, has been updated and expanded.
What Foster Parents Need to Know explains how best to document the daily behavior and experiences of your foster child. Such a written record is invaluable when you attend case conferences or go to court. A well-kept diary about your foster child is the best way to:
- Help the welfare department or court decide on child placement
- Strengthen your case in disputed adoptions
- Protect yourself against allegations of abuse
- Prepare a Life Book for your child
What Foster Parents Need to Know also offers additional information on:
- How to organize and summarize your journal for periodic reviews
- How to navigate the system to care for your foster child
- Which government agencies provide money to support families who are considering adoption from foster care.
- How to deal with children's problem behavior
- How to prepare a Life Book for your foster child
"I found this book to be very helpful to foster parents, who are the a unique asset to the wellbeing of children in the foster care system. I commend psychologist James Kenny and attorney Peter Kenny for their years of productive and creative work on behalf of abused and neglected children and the foster parents who are vital to the children’s welfare."
You can read the following excerpts online, or buy a complete copy from Amazon.com for $4.